Written Versus Experienced

Before going to the voice recital, I always wondered how the program (the list of music) is chosen. I began trying the Boolean operator methods from your summary heuristic and quickly concluded that only the And operator is suitable for key words voice types and recitals (I chose voice types over music genre because it is more specific and often determines genre).

And is the best option because it only searches articles comparing recitals and voice types that might occur in these events while the or operation and not operator slow my research by finding all articles containing the either one or both of the words. With the operator I found J. T. Dalton’s thesis on recital programing.

Because the outsider guide genre asks me to provide key insights after experiencing a voice recital for the first time , I wrote heavily on the difference between the actual experience and expectations my audience, an outsider with no friends majoring music to refer to , might assume after reading online blogs and seeing taped recordings of these events.

One good example is when I addressed the discrepancy of the actual dress code and the presumed dress code for an audience member in the What to Wear section. In this instance, not only is my textual content a comparison but also my visual content where I put a hyperlink to a YouTube video of a music teacher advising you to dress up in the beginning of the section to the contrast the photo of hoodie wearing music majors at the end of the section.

The genre and my audience also influenced my sources by making me find a source an outsider would refer to before going and a source an outsider could only find after going there. Which is why chose a recital guideline handout written by Kirsten Phillips ( a music teacher) to compare with response from an informal interview with a music major who regularly attends recitals for a grade.

Overall, the research and writing for this genre made me realize that when writing for an unfamiliar genre, sometimes my initial research might not be useful at all or used in a different way than originally planned. For example, my initial interest in finding how music is chosen for the recital was heavily trumped by my shock from realizing how wrong the etiquette guides were after going to the recital.

I originally planned to use J. T. Dalton’s analysis of recital programing for a full section after the introduction to provide a well-researched background of how the recital is traditionally structured and compare my experience to historical trends. After realizing the major discrepancy between presumed and actual etiquettes, I changed my initial findings from a full section to a few short paragraphs in the How to Enjoy the Music section. A full detailed comparison shrunk down to a detailed advice on a talking point.

Recognizing flexibility in research and organization is very important when faced with new writing tasks because pertinent sources are hard to find and the focal point of the piece could easily change in different stages of writing. This is very proven in architectural writings for studio projects where the thesis and its supporting facts change after each meeting with the professor.

WORD COUNT: 548